Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Delivery of Noah's Ark Exhibition

Boxed work has been stored in my extra bedroom

Packing the van this morning for the 2+ hour drive

Today I delivered all 50 pieces of my Noah's Ark Series solo exhibition to the Thrasher Horne Center for the Arts in Orange Park, FL (a suburb of Jacksonville). I have been working on these pieces for a year, and have never seen them all together. The pieces (primarily 20x24 in size) have been boxed up and stored as they were completed.

Thank goodness for GPS as this is WAY out of my 3-mile radius!

I am very much looking forward to the opening next Friday, April 27th from 7-8:30pm. Please join me if you are a local! This opening will kick off the exhibit which runs through June 16.

I was asked by the executive director, Tony Walsh to display my work in his fantastic venue over a year ago, but today was the first time I have visited The Center. Many thanks to Kathryn Wills for giving me the grand tour! I am proud to say that the gallery is stunning! I zipped through it today with Kathryn to appreciate the Salvador Dali exhibit they are currently displaying.

The gallery space, love the green walls and red wood flooring!

Posing with Tony Walsh today in front of Peter Peafowl, the largest piece of the exhibition

I still remember the VERY first piece I worked on for this show last June. The Toucan was done in my state room on a Nelson family cruise! I hit the ground running when I realized that I had a year to create a themed grouping of 50 pieces. I chose the Noah's Ark Series as a tribute to my brother Chris who was born with Down Syndrome. My sister Aimée and I worked at summer camp for handicapped children for years after he was born. The Ark Song was just one of the wonderful memories I have of those days.

You can read more about this story and see all 50 pieces in the printed Exhibition Guide. 

the first piece of the exhibition, in progress


2 comments:

  1. I am so inspired by this exhibit. It was fun to watch you progress this year as you worked toward your goal. Good luck with your opening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story
    and the toucan is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)