Sunday, August 22, 2010

Music to My Eyes – a Progression

©St. Hilaire Nelson 2010

In progress, I have completed the dress and now working on the sleeves. I have been collecting paper doilies but have not used them for fear of a "country" look if not used in just the right place. Here I took advantage of the lace-like quality they offer since you can see the colors through them. To make them appear less like doilies, I have torn out the circular pattern and used it in pieces and parts rather than whole. I felt they added a fluffy lacy feeling to her sleeves, enhancing the undulating movement of her dancing.

Having completed the dress and sleeves, the next step is the face and neck. This is a challenge because I'm not feeling like my variety of flesh-toned papers is very large, but it's rainy this weekend and setting up to paint papers (outside) is just not looking like a good idea. I will have to struggle with a minimal palette and really challenge myself.

Its's been quite a while since I have done a person. I am enjoying this piece!


  1. The lace added just the right touch! Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

  2. It looks great, love the complementary colors peeking through!

  3. thanks Rhonda and Loreen for your compliments, I'm just about to post the finished piece!


thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)