Sunday, November 3, 2013

Workshop Weekend Fun

fluid acrylic paints with a plethora of stamping and stenciling techniques

Color, for me it's all about Color

A typical workshop weekend involves classroom work and studio work. The first day we spend some time learning about the collage technique and the goals students need to keep in the forefront of their mind while painting their collage papers.

Painting paper is the first step of the studio work because students come in with their small apple project already under-painted. This is the pre-class homework.

wonderful textures and patterns for collage application 

Experimentation 

Painting papers for collage is all about experimentation. I offer several specific tried and true techniques in my demonstration. What's interesting about any group of students is that not every technique works for everyone nor appeals to everyone. Some folks love the alcohol resist, some love the soap bubbles, most love stamping and stenciling. I love how charged with excitement people get as the "oohs and ahhhs" are uttered over the papers they are making!

Getting to Know Each Other

Generally the time spent making papers is when the students are chatting and sharing ideas, talking and getting to know each other. Making lunch plans. This is my favorite part of the collage process because making paper is pure enjoyment, you get to play with color  and texture for hours and hours. When 4:00 p.m. rolls around, the reaction is always the same. "What?" People can't figure out where the time went. It's like a color time-warp.

In the zone, Nora and Mary (right) made more paper than anyone else, they were a mother daughter paper making machine!

This weekend we have two sets of people who came with friends and family, what a great way to spend time together. Nora is the daughter of Mary who took my class last year. Nora is from MN and Mary splits her time between MN and AZ.

Leslie brought her friend Deb, and I know I am going to mess this up... Leslie and Deb are Stacy's Mothers... Leslie is her Mother-in-Law and Deb is her Step-Mother. (Stacy has awesome hats.) They told me about three times how they are all related... but remember, I'm on medication and I can't hear. Deb is from North Dakota, she brought her friend from home Nancy.

making use of found papers as well as purchased papers for painting

Jeannine came all the way from Oklahoma. She drove 16-hours on brand-new tires to be here. Can I just say that I am humbled and honored? We also have locals like Dorsianne, Gia (originally from Germany) and Jan (who also took my class last year and came back for more color).

It is the biggest honor when someone comes back to take my workshop for a second time, this happens quite often. I am so honored to know that people have enjoyed themselves enough to want to return for more. Thank you Nancy and Jan!

Applying and Gluing what You've Learned

Today is Sunday morning, we are delving further into the collage process that we began late yesterday afternoon. The room goes quiet when the collage gets rolling. The collage application requires concentration and presents many more challenges than painting the paper does, so the room takes on a totally different vibe. Students go into deep concentration and I come around to each person individually to help them through any struggles they may be having, and to offer suggestions on how to make things better. 

I had better jump in the shower, I have the key to the room and something tells me they are going to be waiting at the Art Center door for me if I don't hustle. 



Thank You for being
a part of my Art Journey,

Elizabeth

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing some of the journey that your students take. I was wondering...
    Looking forward to maybe catching a class in Michigan some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. ESHN, re the workshop in Traverse City in June 2014 ... when does sign up begin?

      Delete
  3. Really enjoyed reading this post, Elizabeth. Truly, just reading it, can get the creative juices flowing. This world of collage, of painting, of creativity and companionship is a wonderful place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deirdre, not sure when they will put it up on their website but you can also email and ask to be put on a list for when they do. :) Late June.

      Delete
  4. Dana, I'll be in Michigan (Traverse City) in late June 2014. Deirdre, I am not sure when the sign up begins, I do not see it listed on their site just yet. Try emailing Kathryn: kathryn@artcentertraversecity.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have taken two workshops. One was in Houston, Tx. The other in Atlanta, GA. I had a fantastic time both times. I learned a lot and had fun too! Elizabeth is a wonderful generous teacher and an amazing human being.
    Judi Vreeland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you Judi, I appreciate your kindness and taking the time to write such a wonderful comment. :)

      Delete
  6. like the above reader, just reading your account of class makes me so envious! i bought a plexiglass sheet to try making some paper after reading your book and watching the dvd...now it's time to try it! (such a chicken!) thanks for sharing your class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all had a super experience...the class was awesome and Elizabeth is a Joy! Hoping to have another opportunity..maybe in North Dakota? (It is always on someone's last state to see list)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did! Me included. :) North Dakota is cold…. how about the summer? LOL

      Delete

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)