Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back from Québec City





My visit to Ville de Québec
I just returned from my trip to Canada. I wanted to visit Québec City and the Canadian province of Québec because my of my French-Canadian heritage and the fact that I had been told by many that this city so rich in history and culture was like being in Europe, but not so far away! 

While we were there, I learned much about the history of Québec, like the fact that it was founded in 1608 and that the ramparts surrounding Vieux-Québec (Old Québec) are the only remaining fortified city walls in the Americas north of Mexico. In an attempt to preserve the native language there, school children are required to attend French speaking school in their primary years.

I am thinking about going back in the winter for the Carnival de Québec  and staying at the Hotel de Glace, this seems like it would be amazing! And again, it's much closer than going to Lapland, Sweden where the first hotel made entirely of ice was built.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)