Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bigger is Better

Peacocks, Purple, and Klimt

Richard Kessler, of Kessler Hotel fame has commissioned me to create a peacock collage. Mr. Kessler owns the Grand Bohemian Hotels which are home to the Grand Bohemian Galleries which represent my work in Orlando, Celebration, St. Augustine, Asheville, and Savannah.

A few weeks ago I was painting live at the Orlando location for Sunday Brunch and I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Kessler for the first time. He came up to me, put his arm around my shoulders and pointed to my piece "Fine Feathers" and said "I want that one.... only BIGGER!" He asked me if I could do that, I said "sure, as long as you don't need it next week!" We agreed that 30x60 was a size he would be happy with and that he had no immediate deadline. Coming from a world of advertising as my day job, I NEVER get this kind of deadline.

"Fine Feathers" caught Mr. Kessler's eye. 
He's a fan of peacocks, purple and Klimt


This weekend my husband built me the support for the 30x60 (did you know that 60 inches is FIVE FEET????) peacock which will be my biggest collage EVER. Mr Kessler said he just loved the pinks and purples I had utilized in "Fine Feathers" and I told him that purple was, in fact, my favorite color. "Me too!" he said, as he smiled at his wife, they were on their way out the door to spend the afternoon at Leu Gardens with friends. As he rushed out I wanted to tell him how much I loved the "Klimt Rotunda" in the hotel, because Klimt was my favorite artist and I even had his signature and a copy of one of his images tattooed on my leg.... I guess I'll have to save that for future conversation.

The Orlando Hotel's Klimt Rotunda features Klimt etchings and a very rare Bösendorfer piano


Visit my Facebook Fan Page for a complete album of photos taken yesterday as Doug built me the support. My daughter is going to make me a documentary video of the project in her own fun style, you can see her amazing videography skills on her YouTube channel.


5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the progress on this!
    You're so lucky to have someone make these supports for you, and he just happens to be your super hunk of a husband!!
    P.S. got your DVD the other day, very well done! I enjoyed it very much, and it gave me a lot of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Mr. super hunk. he'll be 45 in a few weeks, can you believe THAT? he's got good genes. :) I am glad you enjoyed the DVD. I will have in progress for sure on this monumental feat. AND my daughter is going to make a super cute video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you that I want to jump on an airplane and come give you a great big hug. How exciting, to have a commission this big... and I'll bet it won't be the only one from him. Your hard work is paying off in a big way and I'm so glad. It couldn't happen to a nicer person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, I still tell people how you converted me to the amazing power of fluid acrylics!! And thanks, I'll take that hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be looking forward to your documentation of this one, Elizabeth! Congratulations on the commission.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)