Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Peafowl, New Work



Plumage
20x20, collage of hand made and found papers on panel
Here is a piece I finished at 1:00am this morning. I am sending it up to the Juxtapose Gallery in Westfield, NJ. They don't know it's coming! I figured Gerri has been selling my work so well that I'd try sending her something a little different.

Being that Art Nouveau is my very favorite art movement, it is probably appropriate that the image of a peacock was my very first tattoo, and remains one of my favorite color palettes today. When I was in college, I created a huge pastel of a full peacock with Cyndi Lauper's head on it. So you can see this has been a long running theme for me!

Let me know what you think of this latest feathered fowl, which is similar but different from my workin the rooster series.

9 comments:

  1. Cheryl, you must be my biggest fan! Thanks so much. Your kind words always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,

    This is exquisite.

    I love it.

    Do you draw the figure and fill it in from there or are the processes concurrent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another truely amazing piece.
    Yes...I love it. My first reaction...a "gasp"! :)
    Always love seeing your new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your compliment on my blog! My process is actually featured in Cloth Paper Scissors magazine November/December issue. I sketch on unprimed wood panel first, then I paint the image very loose, for color palette and painterly effects. After the paint dries, I get out my glue and with a brush I adhere paper over the top of the paint. On this one, the golden background in the top right and down, is still paint, I decided to leave that, but the entire peacock and some of the golden background are all paper, the paint has been totally covered up. I use the underpainting much like a pastel artist starts on colored paper, so no white shows through! But I have found that I get really nice painterly effects with the paper when I am trying to emulate the paint strokes that I put on first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They will be jumping for joy! Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the in-depth answer to my question. I don't have the latest issue, but I hung a subscription form up on the bulletin as a hint for Christmas, so I am hoping to have all the issues next year.

    That is if I don't just get coal. *-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just phenomenal--what colors! I love how you did the little bits on top of his crown! I've never seen collages like yours--they are amazing, intriguing and all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)